Adaptation to Climate Change
The increase in weather temperatures, the frequent evidence of extreme meteorological and climatic phenomena, high-intensity rains within shorter periods of time, changes in river levels and tide patterns, the scarcity of water, amongst other affectations, represent a serious threat to society.
At ICICOR we have decided to face the challenge of these climate changes. We understand that construction, residential development and investment in these categories are also vulnerable to the effects of climate alterations, therefore we are committed to promoting good practices in constructing “intelligent or green” buildings, carry out diverse actions to mitigate the vulnerability in front of these real and expected effects and strengthen the resilience and resistance against them.
Our objective is to improve the capacity of adaptation to the climate changes in institutions, communities, producers, and investors, introducing the climate change variable within the checklist of Municipal permits and appraisals.
As a result of this effort comes the Risk Warning System in Adaptation to Climate Change. Its design is geared towards entrepreneurs, government entities and municipalities. (RWSACC)
How does RWSACC work?
When entering the exact location of the property into RWSACC, the system automatically generates an alert of the possible natural hazards and/or the impact the property may suffer, depending on the level of information available to each user:
- National Level: Unfolds a list of natural hazards of the county due to climate changes.
- Intermediate Level: In addition to the preceding, it includes broader information such as if the point of inquiry is inside or outside the influence zone of a particular threat.
- Local Level: In addition to the above, unfolds the affectation the property may be exposed to due to the natural hazards caused by climate alterations.
Thus, the appraiser can have a list on hand of the scenarios of potential impacts the property in consultation may be exposed to.
Some other applications that the RWSACC system allows to specific sectors:
- Farming Sector: Allows to determine which zones could suffer more of extreme droughts or flooding in order to better plan ahead the future actions to alleviate the affectation of the sector.
- Water Supply: The system will be able to determine which zones may face threats of over-exploitation of natural water springs or extreme events which may change the hydrological cycles of a particular area.
- Coastal Areas: It generates long-term benefits and repetitive effects: Since the system generates estimates of the zones which may be most affected by rising tides, it allows to take measures to effectively plan the use of the territory and the investment in infrastructure which may reduce the impact in coastal zones.
Additionally, ICICOR offers the following services:
- Analysis of properties and possible investments, evaluating the potential risk caused by climate changes.
- Feasibility Studies of projects adjusted to the variable of climate change.
- Proposals and design of solutions for the mitigation due to impacts caused by climate changes.
Risk Warning System in Adaptation to Climate Change (RWSACC)